Footprint, Handprint and BlueprintThe world needs solutions for big challenges like energy, climate change, water, food, nature and social issues. We are committed to minimizing our own footprint and to delivering solutions that help our customers and the rest of society do the same. We have made significant advancements in our sustainability journey since launching our first set of decade-long sustainability goals in 1995.
In 1995, we set out to minimize our own footprint as part of our 2005 Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) Goals. We started with all areas of our operations, from environmental excellence to how we engage with our employees and in our communities. As a result of investing $1 billion toward completing our sustainability goals, we saw $5 billion of safety, waste, water and energy savings.
- We reduced solid waste by 1.6 billion pounds – enough to fill 415 American football fields one meter deep.
- We saved 900 million BTUs of energy – enough to power eight million U.S. homes for one year.
- Since 2005, we have converted 7,000 truckloads of material headed for disposal into by-product synergy streams.
In 2006, we built on our foundation of safety and efficiency to focus on providing more sustainable solutions for our customers as part of our 2015 Sustainability Goals. We expanded our impact through product solutions and collaborative approaches that addressed world social and environmental challenges.
- We developed four breakthroughs that significantly help solve world challenges in food, energy, sustainable water supplies and improved personal health.
- The percentage of sales from Dow products that are highly advantaged by sustainable chemistry reached 10 percent of Dow’s annual net sales from a 2007 baseline of 1.7 percent.
- Approximately 245 megawatts of Dow’s power comes from low-carbon or from renewable sources today. Dow has identified opportunities for as much as 240 megawatts of clean power in the future.
With our 2025 Sustainability Goals we are working to redefine the role of business in sustainability through leadership and action – working together at the intersection of business, government and society to help drive the transition to a more sustainable planet and society.
- We will build a more sustainable future, not only by reducing unsustainable actions, but by proactively collaborating with different groups to reach a better tomorrow.